Most people will be at their wits end thinking what will be the outcome of this match. Those who are sitting on the fence calling the GMEP (Greatest Match Ever Played) on Wednesday "just another game". They really don't know much about cricket. For all of the folks who are trying their best to play down the hype created by this match; give it a rest! If you're not the biggest cricket fan then you will not understand what it means to the real fans. If you managed to jump on the cricket bandwagon just before the world cup, please spare us your boring analysis on how you think everyone should act. It is also no surprise that most of them are not really avid cricket fans or followers.
Anybody who has not known the feeling of willow meeting leather will never understand the passion of real cricket fans, our passion that's on the verge of frenzy at the moment is difficult to describe but here it is.
1. The two teams have not played in India since 2008!
2. The two teams are quite evenly balanced and the contest should be a real good one
3. This is probably going to be the last World Cup game for one of the two; Sachin and Shoaib
4. It's a world cup semi final!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. Not having beaten India in 4 previous tries adds extra pressure, but India playing at home puts added pressure on them.
6. This is an Indian/Pakistan fan's dream come true type of a game
7. The world is watching!
8. There are players in both squads who are looking to become the future stars, and this is their chance to shine
9. Cricket world cups have always been won by teams with momentum and confidence, odds of winning the final in Mumbai will be in favour of the team that wins on Wednesday
10. If Pakistan win, we play the final in Mumbai! Do you bandwagoners know the last time we played a match in Mumbai? It was way back in 1989!
Its difficult for the band-wagon hoppers to understand the intricacies of the sport that is cricket. The ability to handle pressure in a big game, the ability to control the nerves and to unify as and play as a team. And for those who still don't get it, it is the moment where stars are made. This is the platform for anyone who wants to shoot into the annals of cricket fame in South Asia. That's why this game is so important! That's why there is so much hype surrounding it, and that's why it is important to back your team. On my last trip to the middle east, I was watching as a group of friends ate their traditional rice dish "Munsaf" with their hands out of one big platter. I sneaked around looking for a fork, until someone told me that "When in Rome, do as the Romans". I ate with my hands and learned an important lesson, that there are some moments in life that you just have to experience and accept as they come. This is that one moment, of pure euphoria, it's a cricket fans dream come true. It's more than "just a game" It is the game of games.
So if you're not caught up in the hype, it's not your fault. Not everyone's the same. But please, spare us your blogposts on why we shouldn't be going all out in support of our teams for this match. This is the mother of them all.